With the evolving news on the coronavirus (COVID-19), the Buffalo City Mission continues to take proactive steps to ensure the health and safety of our clients, employees, volunteers and community partners. These measures include close alignment to the guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as well as local and state health officials. Our community is our top priority, and information is our most valuable asset.
We will share all updates on this page as developments progress.
Additional resources from the New York State Department of Health:
The Thrift Store Opens: Monday June 29th with limited hours.
- NY Forward Business Safety Plan has been implemented per the Department of Health and NY State.
- Face masks are required by all employees and shoppers prior to entering the store.
- Hand sanitizer is available
- 6 foot social distancing will be required while shopping in the store.
- New Store hours are from Monday through Saturday from 9am-4pm (closed on July 4th) and we will continue to assess the situation as we move forward and make adjustments to hours as capable.
- Non-Monetary donations can be dropped off at the back door from 10am- 2pm at the Thrift Store location.
Non-Monetary Donation Drop Offs for our Facilities: Cornerstone Manor and The Alfiero Family Center
- Donations will also begin to be accepted at both facility sites on Monday June 29th.
- Drop off donations for the Alfiero Family Center will be accepted at our North Oak Street Entrance.
- After hour donations can be directed to the white donation bins that are placed at both facilities.
May 13, 2020
Location Change for Community Bag Meals and Pantry Grocery Bags
Beginning on Monday, May 18, all community bag meals and pantry grocery bags will be distributed from the new AFC receiving area, located on the Oak Street side of our facility.
Hours of operation remain the same:
Breakfast – 8:00 to 8:30AM
Lunch – 11:30 AM to 12:00PM
Dinner – 4:30 to 5:00PM
Wednesdays – 1:00 to 3:00PM
Saturdays – 1:00 to 3:00PM
April 17, 2020
April 1, 2020
Food pantry is now open
Effective on April 1, the Buffalo City Mission is re-opening our community food pantry. The pantry is part of the Community Referral Program, which will otherwise remain closed.
Pantry hours of operation are:
- Wednesdays – 1:00 to 3:00PM
- Saturdays – 1:00 to 3:00PM
The pantry serves community individuals and families who live in their own place of residence and need groceries to help meet their practical needs. All grocery bags will be located at the pick up location, situated at the receiving door of the City Mission Men’s Center Ellicott Street entrance.
All other services covered in our March 17 updates announcement – including all non-monetary community pick ups and non-monetary donation drop offs – will remain closed until further notice.
March 17, 2020
Effective March 18, 2020 – To help support social distancing and combat the spread of the COVID-19 virus in accordance with the CDC guidelines, the Buffalo City Mission Thrift Store will be closed until further notice.
March 17, 2020
March 13, 2020
To Our Valued Community:
The good health and safety of our clients, employees, volunteers and community partners are our priorities as we continue to monitor the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation. With the increasing number of reported COVID-19 cases in the U.S., we wanted share our measures for protecting our employees, volunteers and community partners, while continuing to serve our clients.
All Buffalo City Mission facilities remain open to provide services and programs to those in need. We have implemented a contingency plan to address business continuity in a flexible and pragmatic way, consistent with guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
We will also continue to monitor COVID-19 developments moving forward, to keep our clients, community partners and volunteers informed.
As part of this, we are closely following the guidance of the CDC and local health officials.
We have an internal team dedicated to this issue and will continue to take all actions necessary to educate and protect members of our community as developments unfold.
We value our relationships with you. We firmly believe that, with our trust in one another, planning and perseverance, we can navigate these challenging times together.