NOTE: Currently being updated with more recent data.
POVERTY IS THE ROOT CAUSE OF HOMELESSNESS
Over 45% of people in Buffalo and Erie County live below the poverty line.
HOMELESSNESS DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE
Each year, an estimated 5,500 individuals are homeless in Western New York.
Over half are experiencing homelessness for the first time.
What is today’s face of the homeless?
Impacts All Races
Homelessness does not discriminate. It impacts all races.
- 52 % are Black or African-American
- 37% are White
- 5% Other
- 4% are Multiple Races
- 1% are American Indian or Alaskan Native
- 1 % are Asian
They Are Educated
Two out of three homeless individuals have a high school or greater education.
- 37% have less than a High School education
- 36% have either a High School or GED diploma
- 18% have some College or Technical training
- 9% have a Bachelor's, Certification or greater
Reason of Homelessness
Four out of five are due to issues that could happen to any of us.
- 28% due to housing (fire/foreclosure/eviction)
- 21% due to other reasons
- 17% due to health (mental illness/disabilities)
- 14% are from household disputes
- 12% are economic related (loss of job / income)
- 8% are domestic violence and other family issues